A Simple Gesture engages the entire community to end hunger, by making giving easy, convenient and fun! How it works is simple: Donors are given a bag with a list of suggested, nonperishable items. Each week when they go to the grocery store they pick up one extra item and store it in their bag. On a designated day, they leave the bag outside their home and a neighborhood volunteer picks it up, leaves a new bag, and delivers the food directly to local food banks.
An integral component of our model is the ability to create strong, local partnerships by identifying and engaging with best-in-class industry leaders. These collaborations enable a low cost, high-quality and scalable model to reach more families who need food the most. .
- Out of the Garden provides backpacks to feed a family of four for a weekend, provides access to food for families through the Mobile Markets, and reclaims school cafeteria food to be served at community centers for dinners for children.
- Backpack Beginnings provides backpacks of food for the weekend to elementary students, school pantries for middle– and high school student, and in now providing fresh produce to schools and families.
- Greensboro Urban Ministry serves 110 families a day in their emergency food assistance program.
- Jewish Family Services provides ongoing services for 70+ families throughout the community.
- Leading a joint initiative to end summer hunger through providing backpacks full of food for weekends.