Assignment Title: Group Respite Program Assistant
Purpose of Assignment:
To provide respite to a primary caregiver, while providing companionship and support to care recipients in a group setting.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age and have an interest in working with the elderly and impaired populations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Volunteers will be offered opportunities to conduct small group activities, lead exercises, help in meal preparation/clean-up, and discuss the news and day’s events.
- Volunteers will offer reassurance and companionship to the participants. Volunteers may work one-to-one with an individual or with groups.
- Volunteers with special skills may share them with the participants. These skills may include musical, gardening, cosmetology, cooking, sewing, or craft skills.
- Volunteers will assist staff in monitoring doors.
- Volunteers will report unusual behavior or physical complaints of participants or emergencies to appropriate center staff.
- Volunteers will record hours worked in the Volunteer Sign-In Book.
Blocks of 2-4.5 hours per day, Monday-Friday, 9:30 am-2:00 pm. There is flexibility with the volunteer’s schedule and preferred day.
Volunteers will receive orientation and training before beginning their assignment